(2.5 minute read)
Finding new things to do as a couple in a small town is quite a challenge (trust me, I know), especially when you’re trying to find excuses to spend time with a new interest.
- Go to the park. Watch the sunset. Have a picnic. Cuddle up and look for shooting stars. Guys, don’t be afraid to push your girl on a swing, or recite a bit of poetry.
- Pick a street and walk to the end. There’s no telling what’s at the edge of town. I’ve found river walks, horses, and buried 50’s cars.
- Visit a graveyard. Ours sits on a hill and has a perfect set up to take a camp stove out there and have a sunrise breakfast. Also a scenic place to walk on a snowy evening.
- Take a truck out to the wilderness and start a bonfire.
- Read books out loud together. Chances are, you’ve never noticed how much you like each other’s voices before.
- Have a music marathon and plow through your local library’s music CDs, the old-fashioned way.
- Visit an animal shelter. Give your boyfriend the responsibility of dragging you away before you adopt 5 cats that you aren’t even allowed to keep in your dorm anyway.
- Volunteer at a soup kitchen. This can be a great opportunity to learn more about your significant other’s character while also having fun in the kitchen.
- Have a dance! Get a bunch of friends together and learn a new style of dancing from YouTube. I highly recommend swing!
- Learn about the history of your town. We discovered that the local theater was open way back during the Oregon Trail days and is supposedly haunted.
- Grab some mutuals and play lava tag by day, flashlight tag by night, at the park equipment. Just don’t hide in the same place all the time ;D
- Go to a restaurant with live music. Even if you’re on a tight budget you can enjoy the atmosphere with a couple sides of fries!